Local Foods College
Local Foods College
Local Foods College is a series of eight sessions,meeting at 6 PM on Tuesdays from January 21 to March 11, 2014. This is the third year for this series, and the 2014 series will provide many more options for participants to interact with one another. The webinar format is handy for many participants to access from home or office locations. There are a limited number of public sites that are available, as listed below.
This year, you can choose from these levels of participation:
- Observers view the webinar live on Tuesday nights. and take part in the live chat options during the session. They can also access the recording of the session through this website.
- Explorers will also participate in live webinars, and will find additional materials at the Moodle site for the course and can participate in on-line discussion before and after each session.
- Engagers participate in webinars and on-line discussions, access additional material and can post thier own Flipgrid videos in the Moodle site. The videos will be available for Explorers and Engagers to view.
As in prior years, you can print your own copies of slides and handouts, or you can purchase printed copies of session material for $30.
If you are an Observer, you may access the site by clicking on the button labeled "Read-Only Anonymous User Access". If you signed up to be an Explorer or Engager, you can click "Login" to log into the site using the username and password you were issued. Once you are logged in, you will able to access all of the content, as well as post comments and questions in the discussion forums.
Schedule of Sessions
- January 21 - Soil Fertility - Kristie Walker, UM Crookston
- January 28 - Specialty Products: Asparagus, Garlic, Hydroponic Greens, Wild Food Summit,
Foods from the Woods: Cycles of Use and the Minnesota Harvester Handbook
- February 4 - Tree Fruit and Berries in High Tunnel - Terry Nennich, UM Extension
- February 11 - Post Harvest Handling and Storage - Cindy Tong, UM Extension
- February 18 - Peddling your Pickles Safely - Deb Botzek Linn, UM Extension
- February 25 - Food Safety for Farmers Markets - Kathy Zeman, Minnesota Farmers Market Association
- March 4 - Marketing Local Foods - Ryan Pesch, UM Extension and Nigatu Tadessa, USDA Farm Service Agency
- March 11 - Commercial Kitchens for Processing Local Foods - Megan O'Hara, MISA Fellow and Lisa Weiskopf, Harmony Food Coop
Sponsors and Partners
- University of Minnesota Extension
- Statewide Health Improvement Program
- North Country Community Transformation Grant
- Mahnomen- White Earth Tribal and Community College
- Aitkin- MN DNR Building
- Onamia- Farm Market Cafe
- check back often for more locations
- Printable Brochure
Access 2012 and 2013 presentations here: https://localfoods.umn.edu/localfoodscollegearchive/blog/